This blog is for anyone! Male or female. Young, beautifully aged, or somewhere in between. Married, engaged, dating, or single. I just want to share what God is showing me with everyone. God has opened my eyes in my marriage! I am on a journey to truly understand and comprehend what God intends marriage to be. Marriage is so much more than living together, sharing a bank account and a home, having sex and starting a family, and it is even more than loving each other. All of these things are WONDERFUL but I truly believe that God wants marriage to be so much more for us. Join me in the journey to invite God into my marriage and invite the Devil out! I want marriages to be free of the devil and of worldly ideas and things and to be full of God's beauty, grace, and joy. Even if you aren't a Christian, just follow along with me! It's going to be a wonderful, beautiful adventure!

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Just some thoughts...

Long distance marriage. I love how some people's reactions are "good luck making it past the year mark." I always want to respond to that with "You don't know Jesus do you?"

Jesus. My savior. My rock. My redeemer. My MOST IMPORTANT tool in a long distance marriage. So many more wonderful things than I can list. I do however, have a general response to the question "long distance? And so young! How do you do it?" my answer is always the same. "Prayer. Lots and lots of prayer." It's amazing to me how much of a difference having a strong foundation in Christ makes. As I lie in bed tonight (alone, except for my little monster of a kitten, I can hear him knocking something over in my bathroom as I write this) I'm thinking of how much it truly makes a difference in our marriage to understand what happened on the cross. Jesus died for our sins! Mine, Anthony's, yours, everyone's! He died so that I don't have to bring baggage and a broken heart into my marriage! (I do because it's human nature to hold onto things, even painful things. It's the eternal struggle of the Devil telling you that you can't let it go.) However, Christ has such a beautiful plan for marriage and for life. His death for me on the cross allows me to freely love my husband and trust him in a way that would be impossible otherwise. A belief and foundation in God allows for the freest of hearts. With the vulnerability of an infant who has no reason to doubt and who has all the trust in world. Anthony is able to love me with a closeness that can only be understood by a man of God. I'm able to cherish his heart in a way that can only be God-given.

This isn't to say that non-Christians don't love each other. I fully believe that they do. However I KNOW that in a God centered marriage there is such a deeper understanding of what love IS, not just what it feels like.

So back to not only surviving, but thriving, in a long distance marriage. It's a realization that the distance is temporary, that the distance is for a reason, my education, and that in our time apart God is working in us separately and yet simultaneously preparing or hearts to be together soon. It's realizing what wonderful and supportive families we have, what wonderful friends God has placed in our lives. His plan is so beautiful! How can I be sad when I think about this? I can't! That's why the devil tries to distract me from God's beautiful truth with lies that ruin my mood. Of course I miss my sweet husband terribly. But I cannot wait to experience life with him and see what God has done in his heart for our marriage.

Lastly, a simple but very overlooked point about long distance marriage. Marriage is for LIFE. Nothing can separate us but death. I graduate in December, and it's a guarantee that the rest of my life with this man is worth the next 8 months. A fraction of our lives spent apart so that I can have a degree and get a job while Anthony goes to college. A fraction. A small sacrifice that is so so worth it. God gave us to each other forever, he just asked us to spend a few months apart at first. No problem boss. Your plan is best. And the best is yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment